Last night’s Red Sox telecast on Fox25 had the potential to have very low ratings. The first hour or so went against the second half of the Celtics game, and the Sox jumped out to a fast lead. Ben Affleck joined Sean and Jerry in the booth and made the telecast a bit more entertaining. Some observations of what he had to say: (as posted by David Claborn in the Red Sox Newsgroup)
* He and brother Casey and Matt Damon are all over in England doing a play and all pissed b/c they can’t get any Sox games. Even better? He’s taking the rest of the summer off because he thinks this is the year and doesn’t want to miss anything. He didn’t explicitly say “this is the year”, but instead stuff like “i see this bunch of guys and, I dunno, …I think something special is going to happen this year” and etc.
* Castillo was hitless through 3 IP and Affleck said “I think Frank the Bank may get a no hitter tonight.” Hadn’t heard that not-to-appropriate nickname before. Which isn’t to down Frank -I think he’s playing above his
ability this year. He’s been a really nice pickup by DD, IMO.
* “sending you down to the minors was making a mockery of your career? Hitting .192 was making a mockery of your career, Lou. Do you think everyone from Framingham gets to play with the RedSox?”
* Ben was being pretty critical of everyone on the team in a good natured, Boston type of way. Except, that is for the studs. “Nomar Garciaparra is the one man I can think about marrying. He’s “something” (can’t remember the exact word used.) …and that goes for Pedro and Manny, too.”
* When Bryant Nelson got his first major league hit, all three guys broke out of the cynical/cutting joke mode and enjoyed the moment. Sean: “He’s floating a foot above the earth right now.” Jerry: “He’ll never forget it
for the rest of this life.” Ben said something nice, too, but I don’t know what it is.
* “you guys [Sean and Jerry] have a couple of obligatory comments you make each game: Hillenbrand has learned patience, and Trot’s no good against lefties.”