Bruce Allen will be guest-writing Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback one week while King is on vacation.
No, not me, the “other” Bruce Allen, who happens to be the GM of the Washington Redskins*. But if I did a MMQB column, part of it would probably look like this:
10 Things I Think I Think.
1) I think the Bill Belichick factor is overlooked in the coverage comparison of the Patriots and Saints scandals. The NFL refuses to reveal evidence against the Patriots, and that is interpreted as further proof of the Patriots guilt. The NFL refuses to reveal evidence against the Saints and it is interpreted as the league having nothing on the Saints.
2) LaDainian Tomlinson will always be affectionately known as the “Little Twat” here in New England. The image of him sitting on the bench in a parka with his helmet on during the AFC Championship game while his QB played on a torn ACL will be a lasting memory.
3) I think Darrelle Revis is a great player. I also think he’s overrated to the point of absurdity and his semi-annual holdouts are ridiculous.
4) I think the release of the All-22 films this year will spell the death of ProFootballFocus.com. At least I hope so. (See #3 above.) By the way, Game Rewind on NFL.com is one of the best deals in sports. If you don’t want to shell out for the NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV, Game Rewind is your next best bet. You have access to every game (not live) in both full and condensed versions, in HD, with DVR functionality, and the coaches film for $70 for the entire season.
5) Get your house in order, men of Entercom Boston.
6) I think Tony Massarotti is the biggest embarrassment going in the Boston sports media**. Have an original opinion for once, Tony. Alternating between “You’re absolutely right, Mike,” “I can’t argue that, Mike” and “No question, Mike.” doesn’t exactly make for compelling radio.
7) Wow. Shalise Manza Young’s feature in the Globe Magazine a couple Sundays back was a bit of a headscratcher. (One media person referred to it as the “height of entitlement” – strong statement.) I don’t hear Karen Guregian talking about the hardships of being a woman on the beat, and I certainly didn’t hear a peep from Monique Walker about being an African-American woman on the beat when she was down there almost everyday. I certainly didn’t hear Shalise mention either one of them in the piece.
8) I think I’m tired of being told that I now am required to respect LeBron James. Sorry, he’ll remain a front-running punk who screwed over his home town until I decide on my own to change my mind.
9) Who is Joe Haggerty?***
10) If you’re able to, please support the first annual Justin T. Harris Memorial Golf Tournament, and help raise money for the education of two small children who lost their dad, way too young.
Still grinding my own beans and using the french press instead of paying $6 for a quasi-coffee beverage with 600+ calories.
The hops vine out back is growing well, hope to do some experimenting later this fall. No citrus will be involved.
Annoying Travel Note of the Week
Lost three lug-nuts off my front tire this week. Scary. Who was it that “repaired” that tire a couple weeks back?
*Interestingly, I actually get calls and emails (on my personal email) intended for the Redskins GM, from people in the business. Some are pitching scouting services, others computer programs.
**I know I’m repeating myself here, but this is for a national MMQB column, remember?
***Yes Joe, I know who you are, this is a joke about your big-time “if anyone knew who U were” comment to Kirk Minihane.