King: McDaniels Gone in ’09

Peter King on NBC’s Football Night in America:

I’ll make this vow right now – the one thing we know about the NFL in 2009 is that Josh McDaniels will be one of the 32 head coaches in the NFL.

Is this really that much of a forgone conclusion? Others closer to the team have said this year that McDaniels will likely not pursue a head coaching position this offseason, realizing that he still has a ways to go and things to learn before he’s ready for that position.

McDaniels may get offers from around the league, but it says here he’ll be back with the Patriots next season.

1. Angry Old Bastard says

Peter King is just another babbling media moron who throws crap against the wall and hopes it sticks. If he’s right? He’ll be sure to let us know about it….If he’s wrong?….he knows 99.9% of the people won’t remember what he wrote back in November anyway.

2. Tony says

I think McDaniels probably knows he’s not ready for a top job yet.

The last time he coached in a big game, he was utterly humiliated by his opposite number on the Giants. His complete inability to make effective adjustments to what Spagnuolo was doing with the NYG’s defense in the Super Bowl made me long for the days of Charlie Weis.

With more experience, I’m sure McDaniels will be fine, but the Super Bowl proved that he’s not ready for the big time yet IMO

3. says

I thought the point of the post was asking if it really is that much of a foregone conclusion. Plus, “others close to the team” sounds like Bruce may have a source of his own. I wouldn’t put it past him. He’s a shifty bastard.

4. sam the butcher says

Peter King kept hounding the NFL for Spygate, even after it was shown to be a joke; he gets into fistfights with John Madden on who gets to finish-off Favre; he spends as much time writing about Mocha Chai Lattes and girl’s softball as he does about football; didn’t think Peyton Manning would be able to start the season; thinks Derek Jeter is one of the greates baseball players of all time; thinks Jeter is a great defensive shortstop; thinks Frank Caliendo is funny; in 2006, compared the Bears to the Pats in how to build/run a team: Chicago 07 & 08: 13-14; pats: 23-4; compared David Eckstein to Mike Vrabel. Yeah, he’s a football genius.

5. ben says

Why not just wait until the offseason to judge whether Pete King was accurate in his guarantee? In that you’re not an “NFL Insider”, you don’t have an obligation to put out a counter.

6. late to dinner says

I wonder if Charlie Weis is fired by Notre Dame…sitting at 6-5 with USC still to play it could happen… if John McDaniels won’t think more about taking the hypothetical job he maybe offered especially if he knows he can sign Matt Cassel as his QB. Weis then comes back to NE for a year or four (without having the silly title of special assistant or “consultant”…finishes out with Brady…McDaniel gets a shot at being HC… and the Pats get an OC who who they do not have to train.

I am not saying the above scenario will happen…I am only saying I do not think it is out of the realm of possibility. Who knows what the future will bring.