The Red Sox held a formal press conference Monday to announce the two-year $26 million contract David Ortiz signed with the team this weekend. According to WEEI.com, the contract includes incentives for the amount of time he spends on the disabled list due to the Achilles injury he suffered this past season. He could make up to $15 million this season. This was the first major move the team has made this off season following the hiring of manager John Farrell.
Much has been made of the signing, as many have said the team should have let the 36-year-old walk and go elsewhere, but to me the Red Sox made the right decision. One of the major pieces the 2012 Red Sox didn’t have was power in their lineup and the lack of a true power hitter. Ortiz was that guy, but he only played in 90 games. If the team let Ortiz leave, their next true power hitter would most likely be second-year player Will Middlebrooks, who for right now is a quality No. 6 or 7 hitter. The Red Sox would not have anything even resembling “pop” in their lineup.
Some have also said part of the reason the Red Sox re-signed Ortiz was PR related, and there is no question that is the case. There is no denying how much Ortiz means to Red Sox Nation and the city of Boston. Besides Ortiz, the Red Sox don’t truly have a face of the team. Dustin Pedroia would be next, but his image took a hit this past year. Coming off of two extremely disappointing seasons, the Red Sox could not have afforded to lose Ortiz. While some may question the reasoning and emphasis in PR, this is who the Red Sox are, and they made the right call in bringing Ortiz back.
Sox and Ortiz are together– Peter Abraham says Ortiz got the two-year deal he wanted all along.
Long road back for Sox begins at GM meetings– Nick Cafardo writes the Red Sox will need to be active, starting at the GM meetings, in order to be a contender next season.
Papi’s powerful enough to link past greatness to future success– John Tomase looks at what the next few years should be like for Ortiz.
David Ortiz defends vs. Bobby Valentine– Scott Lauber has Ortiz’ reaction to Bobby Valentine’s comment that he “quit on the team last year.”
David Ortiz and the Red Sox’ quest to restore and elite offense– Alex Speier looks ahead to next season and how the team needs to get their offense back on track.
The Patriots will officially return to work today following their bye week, and it couldn’t have come sooner because I don’t know how much more Aqib Talib talk fans and media personalities can take. It’s amazing the rational some fans have, as some believe the addition of Talib take the Patriots to the next level and make them serious Super Bowl contenders. He isn’t Darrelle Revis, he’s just an average to above average cornerback. This shows just how bad the Patriots secondary really is.
Decision on injured Shiancoe looms for Pats– Tom E. Curran looks at the situation with Visanthe Shiancoe, who was put on the newly created “designated for return” IR at the beginning of the season. The team has until next Tuesday to make a decision on whether or not to bring the tight end back on the roster.
McCourty’s position a balancing act for Patriots– Mary Paoletti examines the decision on where Devin McCourty should play, cornerback or safety?
Pushing their Luck: Brady, Manning know their time is running out– Gerry Callahan says Andrew Luck will be the next great quarterback in the NFL.